Bankruptcy in the U.S. is a system designed to pull individuals and businesses out of severe debt while resolving those debts with creditors as best as possible. In this way bankruptcy is a highly effective process for recovering from severely crippling debt and getting a fresh start financially. However, filing for bankruptcy does have its side effects despite the many advantages it provides. If you’re considering filing for bankruptcy in Windom, MN, Behm Law Group, Ltd. can help you prepare a strong case, successfully petition for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy, and fully understand the results that bankruptcy brings.
When you choose to partner with Behm Law Group, Ltd. for your bankruptcy case, you’re choosing highly-skilled, experienced professionals who understand your need for guidance and counsel before, during, and after you file. While bankruptcy offers a viable way to work through financial difficulties, there are some negative consequences as well, and we want our clients to be aware of all the effects a bankruptcy filing can have.
The primary problem those who file for bankruptcy face after their case is completed is the effect it has on their credit. There’s often a certain amount of damage to your credit when you file, and although you emerge from bankruptcy relieved from debt, it may take a while to rebuild your credit.
Recovering your credit after you file may seem like a daunting task, but the truth is it’s entirely possible for everyone who files for bankruptcy to fix their score over time. With the advice of our attorneys you can regain control over your credit and finances even after we work with you through a bankruptcy. Rebuilding your credit simply takes time and responsible practices including:
- Make all your payments on time and keep clear communication with your creditors if you’re unable to meet a payment. Most lenders are understanding of extenuating circumstances and are willing to make exceptions.
- Keep your accounts open despite the impulse to close them all at once. Instead, work on slowly closing the accounts you no longer want over an extended period of time.
- Check your credit often and keep an eye out for errors you may be able to dispute.
- Create and follow a budget with a savings plan integrated into your monthly income and spending patterns. Our attorneys can help you build a post- bankruptcy budget that’s effective, reasonable, and long-term.
- Hang on to all of your bankruptcy paperwork and keep it filed in an organized, logical place. You may need this paperwork down the road for loans or mortgage applications.
Above all, it’s important to remind yourself that your credit will improve over time. To learn more about filing for bankruptcy in Windom, MN, and what to do after you file, contact Behm Law Group, Ltd. at (507) 387-7200 today.